Since today is July 24th, Pioneer Day, I thought I would take a break from my Orlando posts and post pictures of our youth Trek last week.
{Most of these photos are credited to Stacey Johnson}
(Cute little Trek Orphans)
Summer and I were fortunate enough to go on our stake's Trek for 3 days last week. Believe me, we were dreading the heat, especially in our full pioneer clothes, bugs, and physical exhaustion but it was so worth it! We had 2 crazy storms, extreme heat which lead to sweat, and mud everywhere but it was such an amazing experience even as a leader. Despite some of these discomforts, we were spoiled by our cooks who one night made mashed potatoes, the most delicious veggies and chicken on the grill, the other night stake and chicken fajitas with rice and beans, fruit, and apple pie, and pancakes for breakfast!
On the first day, us leaders stood at the trail singing "Come, Come Ye Saints" as the youth began their trek. I could feel the Spirit immediately. The 2nd day however, tops it all. I got the opportunity to join Summer's trek family to cross the river and do the Women Only Pull. We had to pull/push the heavy handcart up 3 extremely steep hills that were mainly pure mud. These girls were so tough and amazed me. It was one of the hardest physical things I have ever had to do. We had no traction and I almost slid on the mud several times. We all felt like either throwing up or passing out and right as we wanted to quit, we could hear all the men singing "The Spirit of God" as we met them at the top of the last hill. Once we arrived, we as leaders passed out small bags of flour and told the youth that often the pioneers were given this amount of flour for the whole day to eat. Often the men in the family would give up their portions to their women and children. For lunch we only got a piece of pita bread. Later, we arrived at an Indian Trading Post where we got lots more treats to eat.
We were also able to enjoy singing, dancing, skits, and testimonies.
One of the families in our trek were given a hardship of having to bury their baby on the trail. It made it so real for me. I truly grew to love the last verse of "Come, Come Ye Saints",
"And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! All is Well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
Happy day! All is Well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the saints their rest obtain,
O how we'll make this chorus swell,
All is well! All is well!"
Even though I have been on 1 trek before, I again was able to have so much more of an appreciation for what the pioneers did. I would have been a terrible pioneer! I am so grateful for what our ancestors did and how strong they were in their trials. Said a handcart pioneer, "We came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities."
Happy Pioneer Day!






2 comments:
Oh my I'm such a freak... I'm kinda balling after reading your post! Haha. Looks amazing! You're such a great leader!!! And seriously you are one hot pioneer!
Oh my!!! What an amazing experience and yes Ian shedding a tear too :) so spiritual and so awesome! So glad you were able to be a part of this!
Post a Comment