23 February 2012

Almost Homos (My hubby's shortened version of Homeowners)

Last week was a crazy week!  First my momma was here...which was AMAZING (post will come as soon as I get my mom's pictures) and we made an offer on a town home.  You may be thinking, aren't they in a big and beautiful house? Yes, we are and we love it.  However, with momma cush being a real-estate agent she has been sending us houses for sale in our price range.  We have been talking for a while that it would be a perfect time to buy and since we can't afford buying the house we are in, we have been looking at others.  Also, Ryan really would like to move closer to work since he drives about an hour to work, blah.  Anyways, back to last week, momma cush took my mom and I out to look at houses just for the fun of it.  She ended up finding the cutest townhouses ever!  We fell in love.  Ryan and I did the math and figured it would save us $ per month and it would be closer to work.  Also, the house was just built in January, had $15,000 worth of upgrades and had grey painted on the walls, which is what I want!  We made an offer, got a counter offer, and accepted.  We were excited, nervous, and I may have cried because I was so sad to leave the ward and stake.  Then this Monday rolled around.  We were in the process of getting our loan situated when Ryan came home from work looking so sick.  Both of us had been kind of feeling this way. We looked at the numbers again and realized it wouldn't really be saving us any money and the upfront costs were obviously high. Also, if I didn't get new piano students right away, it wouldn't work for us. Also, it turns out that Ryan is going to grad school right now and we had to take out $48,000 in student loans, ouch!   (Man do I miss the cost of a church school!) We will have to start paying these back in a year and a half.  Things just didn't feel right.  We went and talked with his parents and we poured our thoughts and concerns out.  They helped us tremendously!  We knew we shouldn't qualify for this place with these high student loans that will eventually need monthly payments.  We wanted this place so badly, we wanted to make it work but we feel that the spirit was guiding us against it.  We backed out of the offer and ever since we have felt a load lifted from us. We still are on the lookout but we may be moving again in June whether it be our own place, an apartment, or his parent's place again.  We love love love the home we are in and while we can comfortably make payments we feel that we can't save and pay off student loans at the rate we would like. When we agreed to rent this home, we had no idea Ryan would be going back to school.  3 months later Ryan was accepted and began school.  Circumstances changed.  This will be a hard decision for us to downgrade but I know that it will help set our family up in the future.  The saddest part for me was when my husband looked at me with watery eyes and said, "Sorry, I wish I could do this for you". My heart broke.  I don't care if I have this house.  There are so many houses out there.  What I really want is my husband to be happy and less stressed.  If that means living in a 2 bedroom apartment again, I'll do it!  Someday we'll be homos (homeowners) :)!







3 comments:

Darren and Brandi said...

Sorry you guys aren't homos yet :) Obviously the Lord knows what's best and I'm sure you will be blessed for following the promptings you received. Your time will come :) Love you!

Jenn said...

Oh man I know how you feel! We are starting to look at houses and thinking about buying this summer. It is so exciting and fun to look at houses but so scary and hard to look at the reality of the money!
Sounds like you guys made the best and smartest decision for your family. Way to go! Most people probably wouldn't be willing to sacrifice like that! :)

ALIX said...

Britt! This makes me so sad... I know the feeling. Kirk and I were about to buy a townhouse ourselves back when we were living in Utah but kept feeling like we shouldn't, then Kirk found out we would have to move to California... and now EVERYTHING is expensive and ugly and stupid. But, I am happy the Lord knows what's best for you and your family. And PLUS, I am excited you are coming to the wedding - it seriously means the world to me!