04 March 2013

Grocery Store Creeper

I thought I would write this story down to tell all you women out there that you can't ever be too cautious.  Lately, Ryan and I have been watching true murder shows, ie: 48 hour mystery, solved, etc.  I have been super paranoid lately because of those shows, which now, I'm grateful for my paranoia. On Friday, Avery and I ventured over to Kroger to pick up a few treats and snacks for the weekend.  When we arrived, I found one of those cool car buggies for Avery to ride in.  As I was sanitizing it, I felt that feeling that someone was watching me. I looked up and realized a man probably in his late 30s-early 40s, green hoody, sweats, and long black ponytail was sitting on a near by bench staring at me.  I thought it was weird but figured he just was people watching, until he got up, put his hands in his pockets, checked out the premises and started walking toward me.  At this point I was getting a little nervous and decided to just toss Avery in the car without strapping her in and quickly went into the store where other people were. I immediately called Ryan telling him that I was probably just being dumb but I had a weird feeling about this guy.  He told me to stay inside the store, in a public place and call him later.  As I began to shop I looked at the main entrance and saw that same guy walk in with no cart, looking around, until he saw me and he continued to walk at a distance from me but still where he could see me.  At this point I knew something wasn't right.  I tried to lose him and walk down different aisles, until I noticed he was passing each aisle I was in, just watching me and then would continue on to the next aisle.  Finally I arrived in the candy aisle, (I knew candy would be my downfall someday! :) I was distracted trying to decide what I wanted to bring over to our friend's house that night, when I realized that man was walking towards me and I was alone in the aisle.  He approached me and this was our conversation.
Man: Excuse me, can I ask how far along you are?
Me: Uh, I have a few weeks left. (Stuttering and not trying to give too much info. away)
Man: Can I touch it?
Me: Ummmm, (face getting red, shaking begins) I don't feel comfortable with that.
Man: Is this your 1st?
Me: No. (Obviously not, Avery was with me!)
Man: Do you know who the father is?
Me: Yes, my husband. (offended)
Man: Do you like it?
Me: Yes...I like being pregnant. (As I walked away from him)
At this point I had tears in my eyes and was shaking pretty bad.  I immediately found someone that worked at the store and told him the story.  He quickly stopped what he was doing, got on the intercom and called out some secret code.  The manager immediately came to my side and had me find the man again.  Once they found him they kicked him out of the store.  I called Ryan in tears, which I'm sure scared him because the last he had heard was me telling him that some man was following me. He told me to stay in the store for a while, make sure that they walked me out to my car, and call him once I was at home.  Later the manager found me again and told me she saw him drive away so I didn't need to worry anymore.  I still stayed a little bit longer just to make sure. I made it home with no one following me and no harm was done.  That night, I had a difficult time sleeping, just imagining his face in my bedroom and wonder what could've happened.  I am so grateful that we are given that intuition as well as the Spirit to give us that feeling when something isn't right.  I also am so grateful that I was guided to know what steps to take during this situation.  I know that Avery and I were protected.  I also know that I can't ever be too cautious.  I live in a really nice area, but things can still happen!  I hope none of you have had to or have to go through situations like these but don't be afraid to follow your instincts!

4 comments:

Ben, Erin and Tyson Sweetwood said...

Holy Creeper!! Who does something like that?? Good thinking on your part getting management involved.

Ali Beeson said...

AHH!! Scary!!! Glad you two are ok!!!!!

Heather Curtis said...

I'm glad everything worked out. I don't need any creepy shows... after that story, I might not sleep well tonight. That gives me the willies.

Darren and Brandi said...

brittany! that's so scary! i'm so glad you guys are ok. what a creep! darren is over here saying "now you see why i want you to be carrying a gun?" haha guess you should get a gun and carry it everywhere with you too ;) seriously though, glad you were paying attention! love you guys!